The holidays are almost here, which for many people is a time for celebration with family and friends. However, the holidays are also a dangerous time for driving, as drunk driving rates typically spike during this time of year. In 2019, there were 127 fatalities over Thanksgiving and 140 fatalities during Christmas from drunk driving in the U.S.
It is also more risky to drive during the holidays because more people are on the roads than normal. Factor in the snow, sleet and ice that normally comes with winter weather driving and the number of motor vehicle accidents goes up significantly.
Here are some holiday driving tips to keep you and your loved ones safe:
- Never drink and drive – make a plan to have a designated driver or a rideshare company such as Uber and Lyft take you home if you are planning to drink.
- Always wear a seatbelt when driving – wearing a seatbelt reduces your chances of death or severe injury in the event of a car accident
- Do not text and drive – minimize all distractions while on the road
- Keep a safe following distance – maintaining a safe following distance from the car in front of you greatly reduces your risk of being in an accident
- Stay awake and alert – driving while tired decreases your ability to focus and increases your risk of an accident
- Watch your speed – driving above the speed limit reduces your ability to react to the traffic around you
The attorneys at TopDog Law are here to help if you or a loved one get into an accident over the holidays. Give us a call at 800-215-7211 or send us a message here for a free consultation.